The view of LOKFOLK and Kalaboti Mudra of this drawing is, this is one of the cart of those reminiscent era of Bengal, when this part of the world was the granary of the World. The Bengal Suba also used to produce most of the industrial products of the world. Businesspersons from all over Europe, Africa, Asia, America used to pay visit to this place to buy hundreds of industrial & firm produces. Bengal those days are a cosmopolitan world.
Before the 1757 Palasy(wrongly written Plassy) treachery of MirZafar with the help of the British WarLord Clive, Bengal was the centre of the earth. Various other places outside Bengal Subah developed a descent growth in material world, Bengal was the SARTAJ of them. Thus Europeans named their business houses as East India Company.
It is also a fact that the historians are overwhelmingly researched sea-bound business of India, mostly with Europeans, rather than the chain of internal trade within India. And it is a fact that the external trade is a negligible portion of the internal produces of India. Which about only 10%. Naturally the rest 90% of the produces were marketed in Indian sub-continent. These produces need to carry to the various towns & villages. That's why the need of these type of heavy Bullock Cart came into exists. The boats used to be one of the best carriers of these bulk goods.
The Special Cart
But the Bullock Cart in the must head of this piece is a special one. I have traveled most of the parts of India & Bengal. I have seen various kinds of bullock goods carriage. I have studied lots carts in the old paintings also. But I have not seen these types of cart.
One can see the wheel first. This is heavier than any of bullock carts shown below. The wheel thickness of this cart is of 2-3 wheels joined together. It is one of the thickest of all the carts shown here. The Spokes are also thick and heavy so that it could hold the burden of excess weight of the carried goods in the muddiest village roads, may be in the rainy season also. There are 10 visible spokes. It is certain that there are more hidden behind the axle guard. Wheels are made of piece of wood, joined together. If one can watch minutely, can see atleast three visible joining points - two in upper portion, one touches at the road.
I have seen camel carts in the streets of outer Delhi carrying tonnes of grains from the hinterland of UP, Rajasthan, Hariyana, Punjab, Chandigarh. But these carts are fitted with small fat tires - smaller in radius than this. Does this a reminiscent of the bygone days of these thick wooden wheels? I am not sure. But these now a day carts used to carry heap of grains. That's why it needs thick tires.
Then I will ask the reader to view the axle guarder of the cart. Still today I have not seen any axle guarder in any of the bullock carts any where in India. If any one sees please let me know. This is a thick solid (perhaps) wood log which attached with both the wheels fitted in two sides. In the middle of this log, there was also a thick pin, which seems attached with the wheel. This is a visibly square log with four hand. With these four hands, it carries the load of the goods.